Feeling stuck with writing your book? Wondering whether you’re on the right track? If so, a coaching call with an experienced book coach and editor might be just what you need to move forward.
This service is ideal for you if:
- You want to start writing a nonfiction book but don’t know where to start
- You’ve started writing your book but aren’t sure you’re on the right track
- You’ve finished writing your book but don’t know whether you’ve got it right
- You feel stuck on where to go with your book
- You’re hoping to land a publisher but don’t know how to do so
- You’re hoping to self-publish and want to know the process
A coaching call will either:
- Confirm you’re moving in the right direction
- Help you find the right direction to move in if you’re going the wrong way
- Re-focus your efforts so you’re motivated to keep writing
You’ll get objective, honest feedback from an editor who knows what readers want. This feedback can be on your:
- Initial idea
- Book proposal
- Outline (structure or list of chapters)
- Introduction or sample chapter (approx. 10 pages)
- A mix of these things
Before your coaching call, please send any relevant documents to us for review
Coaching calls last approximately an hour and can be done via phone call or Zoom video chat. During the call, the editor will:
- Address specific things from your documents, such as audience, word count, key message, etc.
- Give you feedback on the book’s structure and whether it needs to be adjusted (if the outline has been provided).
- Provide top tips and pointers to help with the writing process.
- Answer any questions you have about the feedback, the book, the writing process, or self-publishing.
After the call, the editor will send you a copy of the notes made during the review and any comments on the manuscript. You can make your own notes during the call if you wish.
The cost of a coaching call with our expert nonfiction book coach is £60 and this price covers:
- A review of your documents.
- A 60-minute coaching call.
- A copy of the notes from the editor’s review.
- Comments within the manuscript.
If you would like further coaching calls to help you stay on track or check your changes, we can book future calls.
After coaching, you might want hands-on content editing or copy editing from one of our experienced editors. You can find out more about those services here.
Privacy and nondisclosure
At The Book Shelf, we specialise in nonfiction books that make the world better. We empower our authors to write life-changing books for their readers. We’ve worked on over 500 books with authors around the globe — from first-timers to New York Times bestsellers, non-native speakers to TedTalkers, and everyone in between. If you want to change your readers’ lives, we want to help you achieve that.
Our specialist areas are:
- Business: This might include entrepreneurship, leadership, getting out of the rat race, or building a business. It might relate to your particular business, teaching the reader a skill or sharing expertise on your subject matter (such as property development or animation).
- Personal development: This generally includes books on how to make the reader’s life better, such as how to become happier. It might also mean teaching them individual skills such as goal-setting or nutrition. It often includes aspects of psychology, health, and wellbeing.
- Philosophy: This could be any area of philosophy from ethical theories to philosophical approaches, metaphysics to morality. For example, the meaning of life, how to think independently, or what happiness is. It may be an analysis of traditional philosophy or proposing a new approach.
“Across the board, Ameesha is absolutely amazing to work with. I am a first-time author, and she guided me through the whole process. I could not be happier!” – Sam Sanders, June 2020
“As a new author, the literary world was quite confusing to me. Enter Ameesha. I learned so much about writing from her that helped me improve. She is a great teacher! I am so happy with the outcome of my work and grateful for the experience with her.” – Denis Ark, April 2020
“Embarking on a self-publishing journey is not for the fainthearted. But had it not been for the endless support of Ameesha and The Book Shelf Ltd, it would likely have been so much harder. I was dubious about hiring an editor initially, but a traditionally published friend of mine said that a good editor is worth their weight in gold. He was absolutely right!
From day one, Ameesha has been an incredible resource. She has provided me with way more value than I could ever have expected from her initial fee. She always seems to have the best interest of the author in mind, even at the expense of her personal time.” – Jym Brown, August 2020